IPE Releases Phase I Green Stocks Investigative Report
by China Water Risk 18 June, 2013
18 June 2013- Along with 3 other NGO’s the Institute of public and Environmental Affairs (IPE) jointly released the Phase I Green Stocks Investigative Report. 17 listed cement companies were named to be in frequent violations of regulations on discharging gaseous pollutants and of not disclosing their discharge information. The NGOs call for the general public to push listed companies and their investors, both domestic and international, to take responsibility and control the serious air pollution issues.
NGOs have spent two years in cooperation with specialized institutions to develop a tool for Green Investment. At today’s press release, the IPE will officially launch the “Green Stocks Database” on the IPE website. Simply by typing in the listed company name or code, investors can find the environmental supervision records of its subsidiaries and affiliates. As of the day of release, the “Green Stocks Database” has gathered more than 850 listed companies with environmental supervision records.
The environmental NGOs informed the above 17 listed companies of their pollution problems. However, 16 of them took an evasive stance towards their environmental violations. To date the only company that has responded showing a willingness to follow up was Lafarge SA (FR0000120537).
- Lafarge (FR0000120537)
- Sichuan Shuangma Cement Co. Ltd (000935.SZ)
- Xinjiang Tianshan Cement Co., Ltd (000877.SZ)
- CNBM (3323.HK)
- Jilin Yatai Group Co. Ltd (600881.SH)
- Tangshan Jidong Cement Co. Ltd (000401.SZ)
- Shaanxi Qinling Cement Co. Ltd (600217.SH)
- Shandong Shanshui Cement Group Ltd (691.HK)
- Huaxin Cement Co. Ltd (600801.SH)
- Anhui Conch Cement Co. Ltd (600585.SH, 914.HK)
- Taiyuan Lionhead Cement Co. Ltd (600539.SH)
- BBMG Corp. (601992.SH, 2009.HK)
- China Tianrui Group Cement Co. Ltd (1252.HK)
- Asia Cement Corp. (0743.HK)
- TCC International Holdings (1136.HK)
- China Gezhouba Group Corp. (600038.SH)
- Taiheiyo Cement (China) Investment Co. (5233.TSE)
The big investors behind some of these listed companies, such as Borsera Funds which invests heavily in Anhui Conch Cement and Huaxin Cement, replied that the investment services provided by the fund has only one goal: to make profit for the client. Others such as Harvest Funds, Franklin Templeton Sealand Fund Management Co., Ltd, Social Security Fund of the PRC, J.P. Morgan, Merrill Lynch International, Heidelberg Cement and Holcim Ltd. gave no follow up on the issue.
See press release here.