CWR Contributes To New UN Publication “A Better World – Volume 3”
by China Water Risk 16 April, 2018
April 2018 – China Water Risk was invited to contribute to the new UN publication “A Better World – Volume 3: Ensure Access To Water & Sanitation For All”. Our article “The hidden implications of SDG6” is featured on page 80.
A BETTER WORLD is a fully illustrated 250-page book with over one hundred authors relating their efforts relating their work in active efforts to find better ways to ensure access to water and sanitation for all, chiefly from the following perspectives:
- Universal and equitable access to safe and affordable drinking water for all
- Access to adequate and equitable sanitation and hygiene for all and end open defecation, paying special attention to the needs of women and girls and those in vulnerable situations
- Improvement of water quality by reducing pollution, eliminating dumping and minimizing release of hazardous chemicals and materials, halving the proportion of untreated wastewater and substantially increasing recycling and safe reuse globally
- Substantially increased water-use efficiency across all sectors and ensuring sustainable withdrawals and supply of freshwater to address water scarcity and substantial reduction of the number of people suffering from water scarcity
- Implementation of integrated water resources management at all levels, including transboundary cooperation as appropriate
- Protection and restoration of water related ecosystems, including mountains, forests, wetlands, rivers, aquifers and lakes
- Expansion of international cooperation and capacity building support to developing countries in water- and sanitation-related activities and programmes, including water harvesting, desalination, water efficiency, wastewater treatment, recycling and reuse technologies
Their commentaries draw upon experiences around the world reflecting the importance of the SDGs, and the vital issue of ensuring access to water and sanitation for all within them.
Our contribution looks into the transitional risks of achieving SDG6 – from fashion and electronics to power generation. Are we ready for their hidden implications? Find out more here.